“Did You Know…that drinking water in the morning immediately upon waking up can have amazing therapeutic effects for a multitude of health conditions—ranging from pain to asthma to cancer?” This remarkable water therapy originates from ancient Ayurvedic medicine. The Sages of India termed this therapy, Usha Paana Chikitsa, which from the Sanskrit, roughly translates to, “early morning water treatment.” It has long been known that drinking water first thing in the morning on an empty stomach purifies the body’s internal system. An especially important result of this treatment is that it cleanses the colon, which makes the body much more able to absorb nutrients from food.
More recently in the 1970’s, now famous, Dr. Fereydoon Batmanghelidj, re-discovered this ancient knowledge and found through his own research, that water can naturally heal us from diseases like high blood pressure, arthritis, asthma, autoimmune disorders, diabetes and migraines using what he calls: water therapy. Born in Iran in 1931, Dr. Batmanghelidj, graduated from St. Mary’s Hospital Medical School of London University, where he studied under Nobel Prize winner, Sir Alexander Fleming.
He eventually returned to Iran where he was imprisoned in 1979 as a political prisoner for over 2 1/2 years at the infamous, Evin Prison. While there, he discovered the healing powers of water and successfully treated 3,000 fellow inmates suffering from stress-induced peptic ulcer disease using simply water. He reported his findings in the Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology in June 1983 and the New York Times Science Watch, in turn, reported his discovery on June 21, 1983.
In 1982, Dr. Batmanghelidj escaped from Iran and came to America and began to research the effect of chronic unintentional dehydration on the human body and he continued to publish his groundbreaking data in 1991 and 1992. According to Dr. Batmanghelidj, the body’s natural thirst signals are often mistaken for signs and symptoms of other illnesses. Over our lifespan we gradually become chronically dehydrated. If we treat this root problem, we may be able to avoid unnecessary and invasive procedures and medications.
The water treatment method is as follows:
1. Right after waking up in the morning, drink about (1) 8oz glass of fluoride-free water. If you’re drinking water from a faucet, chances are it’s inevitable. Other options are distilled water (make sure to add minerals back into the water, including some baking soda for alkalinity) and reverse osmosis. You must do this upon waking and on an ‘empty stomach.’
2. Do not eat or drinking for 45 minutes after drinking the water. After 45 minutes has gone by, you’re free to eat and drink as you please.
3. Drink a cup of water half 1/2 hour before meals. Drink again 2 hours after each meal.
4. Feel your health start to improve.
According to the Japanese Medical Society, this treatment would take 10 days to treat constipation, 10 days to treat some gastric issues, and 30 days to treat high blood pressure.
Here are a few hard facts about the benefits of water to help motivate you to drink at least a 8oz glass first thing in the morning:
1. It jump starts up your metabolism. Drinking at least one large glass of water first thing in the morning, has been shown to rev up your metabolism by a whopping 24% for 90 minutes.
2. You’re dehydrated when you wake up! After 7-8 hours of sleep, chances are, you wake up dehydrated in the morning. Drinking water, helps make new muscle and blood cells, and can increase the flow of oxygen, all of which are energizing.
3. Water helps your body flush out toxins. “Your kidneys do an amazing job of cleansing and ridding your body of toxins as long as your intake of fluids is adequate”, according to Kenneth Ellner, an Atlanta-based dermatologist. Getting fluids into your body right after your wake up will help your body flush out toxins first thing in the morning.” Flushing out the toxins and impurities is even easier when you add fresh lemon to your glass, since lemon can increase the rate of urination, allowing for maximum enzyme function and helping to detoxify the liver.
4. Your brain tissue is 75% water. When you’re not properly hydrated, your brain operates on less fuel, and you can feel drained, or experience fatigue or mood fluctuations.
5. You’ll eat less. One study showed that people who drink a glass of water before every meal lost four and a half pounds over a three-month period, because “it fills up the stomach with a substance that has zero calories”, and people “feel full as a result”.
6. Immunity. As cold and flu season comes around the corner, it’s vital to up your intake of water. If you tend to get sick often, you might not be drinking enough H20. Staying hydrated can maintain the health of your lymphatic system—which directly affects how your body fights off infections. Studies have also shown that lack of water in the body—dehydration—can cause increased cortisol levels, stress, and sickness.